This application is intended for student group recognition through the USG. For Pace Center groups, please apply directly to the Pace Council for Civic Engagement. Religious Life and Pace Center groups should reach out to Joanne Sismondo at firstname.lastname@example.org and Elsie Sheidler at email@example.com respectively after they have been approved by the SGRC.
The Student Groups Recognition Committee (SGRC) works in conjunction with the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (ODUS) to help groups of motivated students find their niche on campus. Group recognition gives you the ability to apply for Projects Board Funding and the eligibility for a Princeton Listserv.
In considering applications, the Student Groups Recognition Committee (SGRC) considers the following criteria in no particular order:
- the future viability of the proposed group, as determined by potential conflict with University rules and regulations, including those that govern student group funding;
- the future viability of the proposed group, as determined by the existence of similar groups that draw on potentially overlapping sections of the student body;
- the future viability of the proposed group, as determined by the quantification of explicitly stated interest by members of the student body;
- the quality of responses given during the Committee’s inquiry;
- the definitional clarity of the objectives and goals of the proposed group; and
- any other circumstances associated with the application that the Committee deems relevant.
In order to submit a completed application for your prospective student group, you must complete the following steps:
- Prepare the Petition, Student Group Constitution, and SGC Questionnaire.
- Send a copy of the Petition, Student Group Constitution, and Questionnaire to sgrc@, and to committee co-chairs Emily Chen (emilyc@) and Aaron Sobel (axsobel@).
- Register with the SGRC calendar on wase.princeton.edu for an appointment — see below.
- Review the document Sample SGRC Meeting Questions to help you prepare for your meeting. These questions should give you a good idea of what to expect the Committee to ask you at your meeting with us.
The following chart outlines the due dates and meeting times of the SGRC:
|Application Due||SGRC Meeting||Senate Meeting||New Group Orientation Session||Orientation Session Location|
|Sunday, September 24th, 2017||Monday, September 25th, 2017||TBA||Friday, September 29th, 2017, 12:00-1:00pm||301 Morrison Hall|
|Sunday, October 22nd, 2017||Monday, October 23rd, 2017||TBA||Friday, October 27th, 2017, 12:00-1:00pm||301 Morrison Hall|
|Sunday, November 26th, 2017||Monday, November 27th, 2017||TBA||Friday, December 1st, 2017, 2:00-3:00pm||301 Morrison Hall|
|Sunday, January 7th, 2018||Monday, January 8th, 2018||TBA||Friday, January 12th, 2018, 12:00-1:00pm||301 Morrison Hall|
Please note: The Orientation Sessions are mandatory for ODUS groups only. Pace and Religious Life groups should be in touch with Elsie Sheidler and Joanne Sismondo respectively for next steps after approval.
Due to the volume of applications received as well as the time required for the review process, late applications cannot be considered until the next application cycle.
After successfully completing the application, please make an appointment through the WASE system:
- Go to the Princeton Web Appointment Scheduling Engine.
- Sign in with your netID (make sure not to use a guest login).
- Search for SGRC under Calendar Owner’s Name.
- Choose Make Appointment for the Student Group Recognition Committee result that shows up.
For groups registering with the University through ODUS, there will be new group orientation sessions held shortly after the SGRC meetings. Attending a new group orientation is a requisite step in the registration process. During the session new groups create their ODUS directory listing, netID, and ListServ. Groups will also review policies and procedures, and use of the University’s financial system. If you have any questions. Please contact ODUS Program Coordinator Ian Deas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Next New ODUS Group Orientation Session is September 29, 12:00-1:00pm at 301 Morrison Hall.